Hubby was off last Monday kaya naman mega lambing ang little A na sunduin siya in his school. Since they were already within the vicinity he passed by Karama Fish Market then he saw huge mussels are all around.He bought 1 kilo and we cooked it two way, half for Tinolang Tahong para me sabaw and the rest we decided to baked it.
A popular pulutan in our country, Baked Tahong is a very simple appetizer or cocktail dish that is made out of baked mussels and cheese.
Traditionally this is prepared with lots of butter and cheese baked together,but I opted to add garlic as a complement to the flavors.
20 pcs large green mussels
2-3 cloves of pressed garlic
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup grated cheese
1. Place mussels in a pan; add 1/4 cup water then cook over medium heat covered, once all shells are opened remove from pan then drain. Once cooled down remove the top shell and place on a baking tray.
2. In a pan add butter and melt in medium heat, add garlic and sauté in low heat until it turns golden brown.
3. Place a teaspoon of butter mixture on each mussel then top it with a tsp of grated cheese.
4. Set oven to grill setting at 180C then grill mussels for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
5. Season with freshly ground black pepper then serve.